Monday, September 24, 2007

Compact server and a laptop for client computer

Recently I have been preparing my IBM R 60 laptop for network and server administration work, while at the same time keeping it at a functional client level. My conclusion ended at PC-BSD 1.4 a while back, and I have not regrettet that. I can reusage my server automation and administration setup and scripts, and I can use it as a real laptop client computer. Of course using it as a client does violate my own feeling of security, as it has so much installed that I dont use. But it is a good base for my hobby automation and administration projects.

I do feel the combination of serverusage and client on same installation, is a bit opposite and not really good for all future. So I was really pleased to see my favorite blog and book author having an article describing a compact server type computer for his network security monitoring. That setup looks very nice, is AMD based, with lots of disk and expansion options, and he got FreeBSD installed without a problem.

So, when I get the chance to split client usage from server usage, I know what I will get :-) But with the amount of time I have for home server and security projects at the moment, I will stick with my laptop for both server and client computing for a while :-)

Oh, as a bonus Richard reminds his readers of Gconcat, in case that article was missed. Just awesome blogging, I love it :-)

No comments: