Thursday, November 15, 2007

Getting 750 GB SATA drives working

When i got some new 750 Gb drives, I attached them to my standard SATA controller where i had two 300 Gb SATA drives, but then my computer would not start! It did not help to limit the disks by jumper setting:


Moving the drives to the Promise Fasttrak controller got the PC booting, but Windows XP couldnt recognize the drives.

I knew i had to update some BIOS or drivers, but i did not know what motherboard i had. So i turned to a friend, he recommended the freeware CPU-Z tool:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

CPU-Z produces all kind of info, you can use the gui, or export to file or html, so run it before you upgrade:
cpuz.exe -txt=%computername%-%date%-before_upgrade
I needed the motherboard info model and current BIOS version:
Mainboard Model MS-6702E (0x1E1 - 0xBE28EE)
DMI BIOS
--------
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version 080011
date 06/08/2005

I entered the model number into MSI CPU support form and got all kind of nice info about drivers and BIOS. But I also saw the LiveUpdate, which i used instead.

After using driver for the SATA and rebooting, the drives added to the Promise controller was visible to XP :-) And it turned out that my bios was uptodate.

I did not need more support from MSI.

So buttom line is, I got the drives working from the non-standard sata controller :-)

No comments: