Monday, January 21, 2008

Secure data handling - the power to raid!

When I read that another laptop with personal data was missing, in Britain again, I remembered reading TaoSecurity predictions for 2008, there was something about an initiative about giving power to raid Governmen departments. It looks like that initiative really needs to get going!

I really hope this power is moving toward companies as well. If you handle personal data, you should be suspect to unexpected tests! Much similar to internal revision and penetration testing.

But should the results from such a new "data protection department" be public, similar to the smiley for restaurents and cafes? If so, should it be public before or after problems are fixed? Like full disclosure, it has it pros and cons. But customers would know if a particular company took data security and handling seriously! Maybe if something is a bit more expensive, but has a better "data handling smiley", I as a customer could make the choice myself. Opposed to now, I really dont know how good or bad companies handle my personal data!
The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), which polices the security of the nation’s data, is to be given the power to raid Government departments suspected of breaching protection laws.

The move, announced today by Gordon Brown, comes in response to the loss by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) of personal details of some 25 million Britons. The Prime Minister said the ICO would be given extra powers to carry out “spot checks” of government departments.

He added: "For some time I have been pressing the government to give my Office the power to audit and inspect organisations that process people’s personal information without first having to get their consent."

No comments: