Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dig into the Active Directory information store

I never needed to automated users and groups creation/deletion/changes in Active Directory on Windows. I have however needed to query lists of users and groups, membership and such. That was solved by some vbscripts.

A few days ago I needed to show the list of computers in an Organizational Unit (OU), so I searched for some ways to get that. And I bumped into the Microsoft dstools (dsget/dsquery/....) and they are just perfect for automating Directory service stuff.

The commands works from a Windows 2003 server, but not from XP.

Also, I need a intro for directory services, because I havnt used it much, and a then moved to a good simple dsquery tutorial.

Then I could make some quick oneliners, starting with a very comprehensive query that is highly educative of how the Directory of Level2OU is made:
dsquery * OU=Level2OU,OU=Level1OU,DC=domain,DC=domainext -limit 0 -attr *

Listing the members of a Windows group:

dsget group "CN=somegrp,OU=level2,OU=level1,DC=domain,DC=domainext" -members -expand

Show the computers of an OU:

dsquery computer OU=Level3OU,OU=Level2OU,OU=Level1OU,DC=domain,DC=domainext -limit 0

To automated the query, I have used psexec to run it on a remote server, with a user that has access to do queries:

psexec \\srv -u dom\usr -p pwd -e cmd /C "dsquery ou domainroot"

Other than that I just found the dstools to be very powerful and some googling shows many good examples of what people have done with it! Very impressive!

The article also mentions some need-to-have directory service binaries from joeware.net/freetools but I havnt tried them. They look good though, like lots of work has been wrappen into those exes:

AdFind [switches] [-b basedn] [-f filter] [attr list]

basedn RFC 2253 DN to base search from.
filter RFC 2254 LDAP filter.
attr list List of specific attributes to return, if nothing specified returns 'default' attributes, aka * set.
...

No comments: